Enfield Town continued their impressive pre-season form as a dominant first half showing helped them secure a3-0 win over Highgate United on Saturday.

The match served as a commemorative game for the 50th anniversary of a meeting between Highgate and the Enfield FC.

That meeting saw the tragic death of Highgate player Tony Alden, who passed away after being struck by lightning during the game.

The win, which came on the road at Tythe Barn Lane, gave Town their fourth victory in five pre-season friendlies so far.

Their solitary defeat came in the form of a 3-1 loss on the road against Chelmsford Town and they have been in fine form otherwise, In five friendly outings to date. Town have found the net 22 times and conceded just four goals in that time.

Saturday’s win owed much to an excellent first 45 minutes, which saw them put the game beyond United with three unanswered goals.

Town hammered Cheshunt 8-0 last Tuesday and picked up where they left off with a display of attacking prowess.

Danny Rumens had the first effort of the game after getting on the end of Drew Roberts’ corner to fire over the bar.

An 18th minute free-kick almost yielded the breakthrough as a Highgate trialist beat the wall,l only to see his effort drift just over the bar.

Town were ahead just four minutes later when a handball from Trevor Edwards gave them a penalty kick.

Roberts stepped up and calmly sent Highgate keeper Brad Hayward the wrong way with a composed spot kick.

The game was being played at a rate of knots and chances were being created at either end, with Connor Mooney forcing a good save from the Town keeper.

Town were soon back on the front foot and Ralston Gabriel doubled the lead with a fortuitous second.

Gabriel did well to control and direct his shot on goal, but received a big slice of luck when a deflection off Highgate’s Scott Turner took the ball beyond Hayward to make it 2-0.

Turner redeemed himself moments later as he blocked another effort from Gabriel to deny him a second.

Highgate could consider themselves unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty after a coming together between Joe Wright and Mooney.

While the challenge was clearly clumsy, the referee remained unmoved and waved away the United protests.

Town were unlucky not to go three clear when Roberts got on the end of Steve Wales’ cross and saw his shot deflect against the bar.

With half-time fast approaching, Enfield all but put the game to bed when they grabbed a third five minutes before the interval.

On this occasion Roberts would not be denied, reacting quickest to a flick on from Krehniq Krasniqi’s thrown in to score at the back post.

The second half was a far more placid 45 minutes as the chances dried up somewhat.

Town’s 3-0 lead meant the lack of action mattered little and they were rarely troubled in a routine win.

At the time of going to press Town were preparing to take on Heybridge Swifts in their penultimate pre-season friendly on Tuesday night.

They complete their preparations for the new campaign by entertaining Barton Rovers at Queen Elizabeth II Stadium on Friday.

They will then turn their attention to the start of the Bostik Football League Premier Division campaign, which kicks off on Saturday, August 12.

Andy Leese’s side head into the season hoping to build on a productive 2016/17 campaign, which saw them finish fourth.

Town ultimately missed out on promotion after going down to a 4-2 defeat against Dulwich Hamlet in their play-off semi-final.

They start this term with a home clash against Folkestone Invicta, and will be hopeful of securing a positive result against an outfit which finished last season 15th in the league table.