Gylfi Sigurdsson’s stoppage-time wonder strike capped a superb second half performance as Tottenham Hotspur came back from 2-0 down to beat Southampton 3-2 at White Hart Lane.

Spurs got off to a dreadful start, conceding two sloppy goals inside 30 minutes, but they were gifted an equaliser before half time to set up a dramatic comeback which was won with a moment of brilliance from the half-time substitute in the 93rd minute.

Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana put Southampton 2-0 up inside half an hour following two defensive errors from Kyle Naughton before Eriksen grabbed one back for Spurs on 31 minutes when he pounced on Nathaniel Clyne’s error.

Eriksen then levelled for Tim Sherwood’s side seconds after the second half kicked off when he tapped in Soldado’s precision cross to the far post.

It looked as though the points would be shared as the game entered stoppage time before Sigurdsson latched on to Eriksen’s lay-off 20 yards out and unleashed a pile-driver past Artur Boruc in the Southampton goal to lift the roof off White Hart Lane.

The win lifts Spurs back into fifth place above Everton, six points adrift of fourth placed Arsenal, but it was a win that looked incredibly unlikely after the opening 30 minutes.

Spurs were punished for their lacklustre start on 19 minutes when Rodriquez pounced on Kyle Naughton’s sloppy misjudgement before calmly slotting past Lloris.

Naughton completely misread Artur Boruc’s goal kick, which bounced over the Spurs full-back into the path of Rodriguez who made no mistake with the finish.

It was a goal Southampton had threatened in the opening stages, with Rodriguez caught marginally offside on two previous occasions trying to get in behind the high Tottenham back line.

Luke Shaw’s deflected shot curled narrowly beyond the far post after the re-start as Spurs continued to look second best.

Kyle Naughton was at fault again for Southampton’s second, hesitating and then failing to clear a ball that dropped in front of him on the edge of the area and inadvertently knocking the ball to Lambert, who played a simple ball to Lallana on his right who calmly slotted past Lloris.

It was a horrific opening half hour for Spurs in which the only threat they offered was a tame Kaboul header and a long-range effort from Bentaleb that flew inches wide.

But they were handed a lifeline on 31 minutes thanks to some more calamitous defending, this time up the other end.

Nathan Clyne failed to clear Chadli’s cross from the right and instead controlled the ball for Eriksen who was gifted a tap in from seven yards.

Southampton should have added a third when Lallana breezed past Naughton inside the box but volleyed the bouncing ball straight at Lloris from eight yards, forcing a good reaction save from the keeper.

Tottenham were coming back into the game against a lively Southampton side and Eriksen so nearly levelled when he latched on to Soldado’s touch inside the area and skipped through the last-ditch tackles of two defenders. But he was only able to get a toe on the ball that he slightly overran into the hands of Boruc.

Eriksen again forced Boruc into a save with an audacious free-kick from the left that was sailing under the crossbar.

Sigurdsson replaced the uncharacteristically poor Dembele at half time and Spurs were level within 45 seconds of the restart.

Soldado won the ball in the right corner in a tustle with Lovren before running into the area and sliding a perfect ball across to Eriksen who tapped in at the far post.

The goal turned the momentum of the game in favour of Spurs, who suddenly looked favourites to go on and win.

Chadli did well to control Bentaleb’s long ball and force a good save from Borus from a tight angle before Eriksen hit the side netting shooting on the turn inside the box.

Substitute Calum Chambers denied Eriksen a hat-trick with a superb last ditch block with the midfielder bearing down on goal, deflecting the volley over the bar from inside the box.

Sherwood brought on Andros Townsend for Aaron Lennon with 20 minutes to play as Spurs continued to look the more dangerous, with substitute Sigurdsson putting in an industrious and skilful shift in the middle of the park.

Southampton began to press Spurs as full time approached and Lambert flashed a volley narrowly wide as Spurs struggled to keep hold of possession.

The draw looked inevitable but Sigurdsson produced a moment of magic with his 25-yard half volley to send Tim Sherwood galloping down the touchline in jubilation.

Spurs XI: Lloris; Naughton, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose; Lennon (Townsend, 71), Bentaleb, Chadli, Dembele (Sigurdsson, 45), Eriksen; Soldado.
Subs: Friedel, Paulinho, Dawson, Fryers, Kane.

Saints XI: Boruc, Clyne (Chambers, 45), Fonte, Lovren, Shaw, Cork, Ward-Prowse, S. Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez (62), Lambert (Gallagher, 88).
Subs: Gazzaniga, Yoshida, Hooiveld, Reed.

Bookings: Fonte, 60, Bentaleb, 78, Cork, 81.