Enfield Town's poor form in the Ryman Premier continued as the Towners were beaten 6-1 against Leiston

Enfield Independent: Rhys Paul was sent off in the defeat. Picture: Phil Davison Rhys Paul was sent off in the defeat. Picture: Phil Davison

Enfield Town remain without a league win since the end of September after they suffered a 6-1 defeat against Leiston in the Ryman Premier.

The Towners, who plan to make a decision on who will succeed Steve Newing this week, fell behind after just ten minutes. A cross into the area was met by Leon Ottley-Gooch and he beat goalkeeper Noel Imber to the ball which ended in the net.

Enfield looked to make an immediate response and Adam Wallace was put through on goal before going to ground under pressure from Danny Gay.

Instead of the referee awarding a penalty and sending goalkeeper Gay off, he booked Wallace for simulation.

It proved a turning point as minutes later, Leiston doubled their advantage as Gareth Heath headed past Imber.

A difficult task was made even harder for Town before the break as Rhys Paul was shown a second yellow card for a poorly timed challenge.

In the second period, it took Leiston just two minutes to score their third. Joe Francis delivered a cross which was confidently swept home by Ottley-Gooch.

Enfield did pull a goal back through Jermaine Osei but it was only a temporary reprieve as the home side added three more goals to their total.

Heath sealed his brace as his corner drifted into the net and Joe Francis struck from the edge of the area. Craig Parker rounded off the scoring after he reacted quickly to poke the ball in from close range.

On Monday, Enfield’s second string were beaten 3-1 by Ashford Town in the Middlesex Senior Cup.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree