A woman is demanding answers after her husband was left severely ill following an operation.

Alexander Carydice went into hospital in 2007 after waking up with a headache.

After being operated on to install a shunt to drain fluid in his body, he was discharged from Chase Farm hospital, in The Ridgeway, Enfield.

However, things were not as they seemed and Mr Carydice’s wife, Claudette, 52, claims she was not given a care plan for her husband.

As a result, she claims his health has deteriorated leaving him with a medical condition meaning he cannot control his body temperature.

Mr Carydice now needs daily visits from nurses but believes that if a care plan had been put in place when he was discharged, his condition would not be so bad.

Mrs Carydice said: “We was given no care plan whatsoever when he first left Chase Farm and we have had to learn about his condition as its got worse and worse.

“There is no explanation as to why he wasn’t given a care plan. It has been very stressful for us all.”

Mr Carydice was left suffering from diabetes insipidus, a condition leaving him with no thirst and type two diabetes.

He has been in and out of Barnet hospital, in Wellhouse Lane, on numerous occasions with the hospital putting together a care plan in recent months.

Mrs Carydice, of Waltham Cross, paid homage to Barnet Hospital but has been left infuriated by the lack of answers from Chase Farm.

She said: “I don’t know where we would be without Barnet Hospital, they have given us a care plan which means he undergoes a blood test every week to check his sodium levels.

“He has now contracted memory loss as a result. He used to be a working man and now he has been dragged out of his bed, it’s not on.

“We need answers from Chase Farm and they are hiding something from us.”

A spokesman for the Royal Free Trust, which has taken over running of Chase Farm Hospital, said: “The Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust takes any complaints about its care for patients very seriously.

“We have looked into issues raised by Mrs Carydice about her husband’s care and wrote to her in some detail in early July to apologise for what happened earlier and to explain the care arrangements that have since been put in place.”