There is no guarantee Enfield Town will take up a potential place in the FA Cup first round - but the fact Andy Leese's men will make the nationally televised draw tonight is still a historic moment for the club.

The Towners faced an uphill task at National League side Maidstone United on Saturday, but despite a two-division gap held their own to earn a 2-2 draw in Kent, which could have been all the sweeter had the hosts not netted a 94th-minute equaliser.

In fact, incidents bookended an otherwise unremarkable game at the Gallagher Stadium, with referee Wayne Cartmel awarding the hosts a penalty inside the opening minute after spotting a foul from Danny Rumens.

But when former West Ham forward Zavon Hines staggered his run-up, Cartmel rightly - but harshly - ruled out his chipped finish, and booked him for unsporting conduct.

Town mopped their collective brow with relief at that narrow escape, and used it to their advantage.

20 minutes in Montell Moore fed Mickey Parcell, who delivered an inch-perfect cross which Simon Thomas rose to nod beyond Lee Worgan.

The Stones finally remembered they were two leagues above their visitors and woke up, harassing the Enfield backline relentlessly before the break.

And their hard work paid off when they were given a second penalty for a foul by Ryan Blackman, which Hines again took.

He managed to avoid the staggered run-up but could not outwit Joe Wright, who pulled off a stunning save to keep Enfield ahead.

But just when they looked set for a half-time lead, Alex Wynter glanced Seth Nana Twumasi's cross in to level.

Amazingly, a third penalty followed 11 minutes after the interval, but this time to the visitors.

Ollie Muldoon hauled down Sam Youngs and veteran Darren Purse showed his experience by confidently dispatching from 12 yards beyond Worgan.

Stones then turned up the pressure considerably within the final half-hour, albeit without causing Wright too many problems.

As five minutes went up on the fourth official's board it looked like Enfield would be on their way to the first round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history.

But in the cruellest fashion, and in the final minute of added time, ex Norwich man Jamar Loza fired a shot off the post, only for Joe Pigott to stab home the rebound and leave the visitors with their heads in their hands when the final whistle went moments later.

Enfield Town: Wright, Parcell (Kyriacou 73), Rumens, Purse, McKenzie, Martin, Blackman, Youngs, Moore (Blake 73), Thomas (Ward-Cochrane 85), Greene.

Not used: Bartley, Roberts, Hockney, Beattie.