Enfield Town put the woes of recent weeks firmly behind them as a second-half goal deluge at Canvey Island saw them back to winning ways.

 Sam Youngs and a Marcus Wyllie double gave them a 3-0 win that keeps them in fifth, the final play-off place in the Isthmian League Premier Division.

It ended a run of five games without success, the last two both ending 2-1 against fellow promotion chasers, Hornchurch and Billericay Town.

They did it without manager Gavin MacPherson too, missing due to personal reasons, meaning Jon Nurse was in charge for the day.

Speaking on the club's website, the assistant manager said: "It was difficult pitch to play on and we knew it would be a battle.

"It was hard at first to gain any foothold but we’re a team that is capable of going on to win games when we stay in it and things open up.

"We worked hard in training to try and cut out mistakes. The last few results were hard to take and this is just what we needed to change the tide."

The home side had the better of the early exchanges and edged the first half.

They almost went in front with the first meaningful attack of the game, Conor Hubble striking the crossbar with a 25-yard free-kick, the follow-up also rebounding off the woodwork.

Brad Sach scuffed another shot wide while Town's best attempt came from Reece Beckles-Richards, stopped by keeper Sam Jackson.

They were also hit by a nasty facial gash to Josh Okotcha who, in trying to shepherd the ball out of play, collided with the metal fencing and was subbed off.


A change of shape at the break changed the outlook of the game.

Beckles-Richards put a Mickey Parcell cross over the bar before they took the lead on 66 minutes, Youngs following up after Manny Harvest had a shot saved by Jackson.

The second came seven minutes later with an excellent individual effort from Wyllie, slaloming past three defenders before finding space to drill his shot into the corner.

The Towners were now well on top and they put the game to bed with one minute of the 90 remaining.

The ball fell kindly to Lewis Taaffe and he set Wyllie up to collect his 18th league goal of the season.

Elsewhere, Enfield lost 1-0 to Maldon & Tiptree in Isthmian League Division One North, George Smith scoring in the first minute of the second half.

It has them 17th in the standings with a trip to league leaders Lowestoft Town.

Enfield Borough meanwhile were without a game this weekend.

They are 19th and go to May & Baker on Saturday.