Second-half goals from Lewis Taaffe and Ken Charles moved Enfield Town above opponents Bognor Regis Town after a 2-0 win in the Isthmian League Premier Division.

After conceding four goals in the first half at Hornchurch last week, Town managed to get to the break unscathed in this one.

Taaffe then opened the scoring with a tap-in at the back post before Charles fired home from the edge of the box with two minutes to go.

Town started on the front foot straight away, signalling their intent with an early effort from Lyle Della-Verde that was blocked following a swift build-up.

Shaun Okije was the next to test Bognor keeper Amadou Tangara, making space for himself on the edge of the box before seeing his low effort saved.

Town continued to have the bulk of the possession and the chances, but Billy Bricknell was unable to seize upon a poor thrown-in from Ashton Leigh, shooting wide of the target.

All of the hard work Enfield put in during the first half was almost undone when Marc Weatherstone’s header back towards Nathan McDonald sold the goalkeeper short, but visiting forward Bradley Lethbridge was unable to latch onto the ball before McDonald gathered.

Similarly to how they started the first half, Enfield were straight at it after the break. This time, though, their early endeavour was rewarded with a goal.

Just two minutes after kick-off, good set-up play from Okije led to Bricknell receiving the ball out on the right, and his low cross found Taaffe at the far post who controlled the awkward, bouncing ball before poking past Tangara.

Soon after, the roles were reversed when Town came forward again as this time it was Taaffe who delivered who Bricknell, but after taking a deflection, his shot was superbly tipped over the bar.

Bricknell was denied again on 65 minutes as Enfield continued to rain down on the Bognor Regis goal. McDonald’s long goal kick fell right to his feet, but the onrushing Tangara did well to block his strike.

Town were not to be denied late on though, as substitute Charles beat two men on the edge of the area before finishing low to the goalkeeper’s right to wrap up the points.

The win puts Enfield two points ahead of Bognor Regis in the table and four adrift of the play-offs in seventh place.

Town were due to play East Thurrock United in the league tomorrow night, but storm damage at their ground has seen the game postponed.

Therefore, the home game against Lewes will be up next for Town, this Saturday at 3pm.