Enfield Town failed to build on their New Year’s Day win over Potters Bar Town as they were beaten 2-0 away at Carshalton Athletic on Saturday.

Harry Ottaway and Lewis White both struck in the second half, minutes after Town striker Billy Bricknell was booked twice in quick succession.

The first half was a fairly even affair but it was Carshalton who had the first effort of the game. Jordan Cheadle curled a free-kick into the area but Daniel Pappoe’s header was off target.

Ricky Korboa poked an effort wide of the goal shortly after and he could have had another opportunity minutes later, but player-manager Peter Adeniyi shot into the side netting rather than squaring it across.

Town’s first real effort of the encounter came when Pappoe was dispossessed and Junior Mubiayi picked the ball up centrally. He released Billy Bricknell who in turn played a ball over the top for Sam Youngs, but his dipping effort landed on the roof of the net.

Carshalton were unlucky with a similar effort as half-time approached, Kershaney Samuels seeing his lob over Nathan McDonald just clear the crossbar.

It was Enfield who had the final efforts of the half but neither were able to beat Kleton Perntreou in the Carshalton goal. Lyle Della-Verde’s fierce effort was pushed aside and a dipping effort from Youngs was well saved.

The visitors thought they had taken the lead shortly after the restart when Mubiayi tucked home after Perntreou parried to his feet, but the assistant’s flag was up sharply to deny him.

Carshalton then began to probe and they were soon looking the more likely to break the deadlock. Korboa cut inside and fired an effort just wide of the post and McDonald was called into action to deny Samuels.

The game-changing point came in the 70th minute when Bricknell, booked minutes earlier, was shown a second yellow for what the referee felt was simulation.

That immediately galvanised Carshalton and they took the lead just minutes after Bricknell’s dismissal when a cross from the left was met at the front post by Ottaway and he flicked the ball over McDonald and into the net.

With 12 minutes left and the hosts now in the ascendency, they made the game safe when debutant White lashed a volley home from a tight angle.

Carshalton continued to push for more in the closing stages, but Korboa had the only effort of any real note, stabbing the ball wide when he only had McDonald to beat.

Defeat leaves Enfield seventh in the Isthmian League Premier Division, a point behind Carshalton who occupy the final play-off spot.

Next up for Town is a return to Velocity Trophy action as they host Staines Town tomorrow night, kicking off at 7.45pm.