Enfield Town progressed to the first round of the FA Trophy for the first time, as they beat Maldon and Tiptree by the odd goal in seven on Saturday afternoon.

Danny Parish twice levelled for the visitors after goals from Mo Faal and Marc Weatherstone had put Town in front, before Charlee Hughes gave Maldon the lead for the first time in the game. However two Billy Bricknell strikes added a further twist to the narrative and Enfield became the first team to beat the Jammers in normal time so far this season.

The frenetic fixture got off to an exciting start with Town breaking the deadlock after little more than a minute.

Top scorer Faal cut in from the left before beating Ben McNamara with a well-hit shot into the top corner.

Maldon fought back and had Nathan McDonald under pressure with shots from Jorome Slew forcing the keeper to make a number of important stops.

However, the visitors’ work paid off and they were level on the 20 minute mark when Parish scored his first of the game, slotting past McDonald from inside the area.

Faal pushed hard to try and get Enfield back in front, but he came up against a worthy adversary in McNamara who denied the striker in a one-on-one.

The hosts were ahead soon after though, when Weatherstone somehow found a route to goal through a plethora of defenders from a corner kick and with just five minutes remaining of the first-half it seemed as if Town would take an advantage in at the break.

Maldon however had other ideas.

A swift counter-attack saw Slew charge down the pitch and into the penalty area, where he was brought down by McDonald.

Parish converted from the penalty spot to peg Enfield back for the second time in the afternoon.

The Jammers’ counter-attack looked consistently dangerous and it was from such a move that they put themselves ahead for the first time.

Slew again using his pace well to break into the Enfield half before crossing for Hughes, who had time to pick his spot in McDonald’s net.

Desperate not to let their early work go to waste, Town set about clawing themselves back into the game.

McNamara denied Faal from another one-one-one, but was being well worked and there was nothing he could do when Bricknell drove a free-kick through the wall and in off the post to draw the sides level.

Bricknell then made himself the hero with a thumping half-volley 15 minutes from time that flew over McNamara’s head, seeing Enfield through to the first round proper where they have been drawn at home against Ebbsfleet United.