A hat-trick from Billy Bricknell as well as a Muhammadu Faal brace helped Enfield Town into the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy with a 5-0 thrashing of Thatcham Town.

Bricknell scored twice before the break before completing his treble with 21 minutes to go, and two late strikes from Faal wrapped up the win for Town to set up a home tie with either Maldon & Tiptree or Folkestone Invicta.

Enfield had the first clear-cut sight of goal with just three minutes on the clock when the ball fell to Bricknell on the edge of the area, but his right-footed drive flew just wide of the post.

After Ryan Blackman bent a free-kick over the bar, Thatcham started to gain a foothold in the game and put together a good move involving Kyle Tooze and Adam Kelly, but an overhit pass brought it to a premature end.

Faal was the next to go close for Town, seeing an effort saved by Archie Matthews, and Bobson Bawling soon had the ball in the net for what he thought was the opening goal, but referee Gerry Heron chalked it off for a foul in the build-up.

It ended up mattering little, however, as just a few minutes later Enfield did open the scoring when Blackman’s cross found Bricknell with the freedom of the penalty area, and he guided the ball home at the far post.

Shortly after, Bricknell doubled both his and Enfield’s tally when he fired an unstoppable drive beyond Matthews after being played in by Faal.

Thatcham came out in the second half looking to repair some of the damage that had been inflicted in the opening 45, and they made a good start with some decent chances.

Felipe Barcelos saw a header well kept out by Nathan McDonald, and the keeper had to be alert again when Jordan Williams’ free-kick was flicked goalwards.

Despite their efforts, the game was all but wrapped up in the 69th minute when Enfield notched their third of the afternoon, and it was another Bricknell stunner as he fired in from 20 yards via the hand of the goalkeeper and the underside of the crossbar.

Thatcham’s heads seemed to drop following that goal, and a fourth arrived in close proximity. Blackman won the ball back in midfield and played in Faal after striding forward, and the striker calmly finished past Matthews when left one-on-one.

Minutes after the visitors had wasted a golden opportunity to grab a consolation, Faal added the final gloss with the goal of the afternoon.

He picked up the ball from a poor Matthews clearance and sent the ball floating back over the helpless goalkeeper from near the touchline to cap off an excellent afternoon for the hosts.

As the Enfield Independent was going to print, Town were preparing for a Middlesex County Cup tie at home to Broadfields United on Tuesday, while their next Isthmian League Premier Division game is also at home to Folkestone Invicta this Saturday.