Enfield Town are now winless in three games and have slipped further away from the Bostik League Premier Division playoff spots after a 1-0 loss at home to Leatherhead.

Ibrahim Olutade scored the all-important goal after 23 minutes to lift the Tanners above Town in the table and inflict upon them their second defeat in a row.

Marc Weatherstone’s ankle injury forced him out of the side in the only change for the Towners.

The hosts made a lively start to the game, creating plenty of opportunities but, in reality, doing little to really trouble Zaki Oualah in the Leatherhead goal.

Lewis Taaffe sent in a cross that fizzed just past the post on five minutes, Aaron Green was denied by Oualah from a driven effort and Kezie Ibe’s neat turn was not matched by his finish.

Despite this, it was the visitors who took the initiative. Olutade was first kept out by the legs of Matt Nolan, but he wasn’t to be denied only a few minutes later when he was allowed a free header at the near post from a corner.

The visitors continued to press now that their tails were up, and they were denied again by Nolan when he grabbed Travis Gregory’s shot at the second attempt and when he produced a fine double save to stop Jack Skinner and Olutade.

The Tanners had two great opportunities right at the start of the second period too, having an effort cleared off the line by Dan Rumens’ header, and then Skinner struck the crossbar with a rasping effort.

Town continued to fight but it was looking increasingly likely that they would get no reward for their work, especially when Charlie Hester-Cook produced a miraculous block to stop Matt Johnson’s header from a Taaffe free-kick.

The worrying news for the hosts, aside from the disappointing result, is that Ryan Blackman was stretchered off towards the end of the game with a suspected dislocated knee, leaving Enfield to see out the game with only ten men having already made their three substitutions.

There were no more clear-cut chances after the injury though, with Leatherhead defending well to hold onto their precious early lead and Town’s efforts for a late equaliser all being in vain.

The result leaves Enfield eighth in the table, three points behind their seventh-placed opponents and six behind Merstham, who occupy the final play-off spot with five games left to play.

Next up for Andy Leese's side is an away trip to out-of-form Kingstonian, who have lost their last five games in the league. Kick off is at 3pm at King George’s Field.