Enfield Town continued their play-off push with a thumping 4-0 win over lowly Margate.

Joe Wright was missing for the Towners after failing a late fitness test after a foot problem and, with Dan Rumens suffering from flu, Enfield were forced into a defensive reshuffle.

Remi Sutton lined up at the heart of defence while Aaron Green slotted in at left wing-back, with Matt Nolan making his second appearance of the season in goal.

Enfield had the better of the opening stages of this game, going close when Joseph Hungbo cut in from the right and fired over and when Ryan Blackman was off target from a Sam Youngs corner.

Jack Paxman responded with an effort for the visitors that was blocked, but it was still all Enfield as Karl Oliyide, starting his one-month loan spell from Hampton & Richmond Borough, cut inside from the left to win a corner and Mickey Parcell blazed wide from the rebound of a blocked Billy Bricknell effort.

Town were almost made to pay for their misses when Margate created two excellent chances. Firstly, Sid Sollis played in David Martin who fired against the inside of Nolan’s left-hand post, possibly via the goalkeeper’s fingertips, and a deep Paxman free-kick from the right then found Sollis who could only head into Nolan’s arms.

Finally, though, Enfield took one of their numerous chances as, ten minutes before half-time, Aaron Greene picked up a Matt Johnson throw-in and clipped a fine ball into Bricknell, who steered his header past Louis Wells.

Town put the game to bed inside 15 minutes, hitting three quickfire goals that ensured there was no way back for Margate.

Connor Dymond and Bricknell missed good opportunities, but Parcell atoned for his earlier miss with a crisp finish from Johnson’s excellent cut-back from the byline that went in off the keeper to double Enfield’s lead.

On 55 minutes, Marc Weatherstone added a third for the hosts. Blackman, Johnson and Bricknell were all involved in a slick passing move that forced a corner and, after an initial header had been kept out, he rose to divert the rebound in.

The fourth goal arrived just beyond the hour mark, and it was debutant Oliyide that was credited with the final touch after a corner from the right came off a Margate defender.

Margate had a glorious chance to grab a consolation goal after goalkeeper Nolan was caught dwelling on the ball, but Sollis shot high and wide of the goal after racing onto the loose ball.

After 17 matches without a clean sheet for the home side, they now have two in two after this game and their recent 3-0 win at Worthing.

They will be looking to add to that tonight when they travel to Bishop’s Stortford, with kick-off at 7.45pm.