Enfield Town ended a run of three consecutive defeats with a resounding 3-0 away win against Worthing to leave them within a point of the play-off spots in the Bostik Premier Division.

Matt Johnson’s brace after the break added to Billy Bricknell’s opener for the Towners, who put on a quality display of purpose and attacking intent.

The result ended a league goal drought of 365 minutes and also secured a first league clean sheet since October 20.

Both sides had attacks in the early stages of the game as Mickey Parcell had two efforts blocked, one by the Worthing defence and the other, inadvertently, by Sam Youngs, while Dan Rumens also twice headed over from corners for the visitors.

However, Enfield began to crank up the pressure and the hosts were thankful to goalkeeper Kleton Perntreou who came off his line well to save from Aaron Greene on two occasions.

Just when Town thought it was going to be another one of those days, their goal drought was ended as Marc Weatherstone got his head to Parcell’s corner, and Bricknell was on hand to squeeze the ball over the line between Perntreou and the post.

There was one nervy moment for Town before the break though, as Ricky Aguiar’s free-kick was parried away by Joe Wright, and there was an almighty scramble in the area before the visitors just about cleared their lines.

Andy Leese’s side struck so quickly after the break that some supporters were yet to re-emerge for the second half. Parcell’s shot was charged down and the ball broke to Johnson outside the area and he crashed a shot past Perntreou and into the top corner for a goal-of-the-season contender.

Barely a few minutes later, Enfield added a third to all but seal the game when Wright’s long punt downfield was collected by Parcell, and his ball inside found Johnson to convert for the second time.

Worthing did their best to come back into the game and their closest chance came when James Crane slid in to meet a cross, but his effort was well blocked by a last-ditch tackle.

Enfield were keen to add to their tally though, and went close again through Johnson but he couldn’t quite connect with a diving header, and Perntreou did well to keep out another Youngs header.

Meanwhile, record goal scorer Liam Hope has moved to Maldon & Tiptree, leaving Town for the second time, having returned to the QEII Stadium in November 2017.

During his two spells, he made 297 appearances and scored 118 goals.

Leese said: “We are sorry to lose Liam at this stage of the season, but respect his wish to get more game time. He has been fantastic for us since he came back. A proper player in every respect.”