Young Enfield Town defender Rian McLean has completed a move to League One side Doncaster Rovers after a successful trial period.

McLean, 20, joins Rovers on a professional 18-month deal after impressing their boss Grant McCann during his trial, and he will go straight into the development squad for the Yorkshire club.

Enfield manager Andy Leese told the club website: “This is a fantastic opportunity for Rian to get back into professional football, which is what he has strived for.

“We picked Rian up through the trials we held in the simmer of last year. He has been excellent for us, has developed rapidly under our guidance and I am sure he will go on to have a good career at a high level. On behalf of everyone at the club, I’d like to wish him all the very best in his future career.”

McLean, who joined Town after a spell at Leyton Orient, made his debut for the club in the 3-2 win at Folkestone Invicta on the opening day of the season and went on to make 15 competitive appearances for the first team.

Now, though, he has a chance to return to professional football and is thankful to Doncaster for taking the chance on him.

He told their website: “I’m very happy to be given the chance to play for a club like Doncaster, it’s a great chance for me to prove myself.

“It was nice to play a few games for the development side and be back in a professional environment after spending some time in non-league.

“I’ve had a few chats with the manager and he’s explained how he wants me to develop and push towards the first team.”

Meanwhile, Enfield lost ground on the Bostik League Premier Division play-off positions on Saturday as they went down to a 1-0 defeat to Merstham.

Walter Figuiera capitalised on a bad Joe Wright error after 13 minutes to notch the only goal of the game that saw the Moatsiders go level on points with Town.

It looked to be a routine catch for Wright, but he uncharacteristically spilt a cross into the path of Figuiera, leaving him with the simple task of tapping into an empty net.

Kezzie Ibe, a new signing from Egham Town, looked the most likely to get Town back into the game but he saw multiple effort saved by Amadou Tangara in the Merstham goal.

The second half saw Town doing most of the attacking but they were up against a dogged home defence who were constantly thwarting any attempts that the visitors had.

They thought they had found an equaliser late in the second period, but Marc Weatherstone’s header was controversially ruled out for offside in the build-up.