Enfield Town’s run of four straight wins came to an end against play-off rivals Lewes as Sam Youngs’ first-half goal earned a share of the spoils.

Darren Freeman’s side had initially taken the lead on Saturday when Omarr Lawson drilled in after only 11 minutes, but the Towners hit back before the break when Youngs wrong-footed Lewis Carey in the visitors’ goal.

The hosts started slowly and had Youngs to thank for not going behind earlier than they did as he cleared off the line from an inswinging corner.

They hit back, though, and almost took the lead when Bilal Sayoud, playing on the right, drove a shot towards goal with his left foot, but Carey was equal to the effort.

Lewes regained control of the game after that effort, however, and took the lead early on when Lawson picked the ball up on the right and was allowed far too much space to drill past Joe Wright.

Both sides had their chances to score following the opening goal. Firstly, Enfield’s Marc Weatherstone twice headed off target, firstly from a throw-in and then from a corner, before Lewes’ Kieran Pamment came close when his cross-shot was dealt with by Wright.

Bricknell then had an effort excellently blocked by Olumide Oluwatimilehin before Weatherstone was denied once more by a stunning point-blank block from Leon Redwood.

Enfield applied the majority of the pressure after going behind and got their reward after 36 minutes. A poor clearance from goalkeeper Carey went straight to Matt Johnson, and his pass into Bricknell was laid on for Youngs to beat the keeper.

Bricknell almost completed the turnaround before the break but Carey made up for his previous error, producing a fine stop to tip over a speculative effort.

The visitors had the first real opportunity of the second half as Tom Daly’s diving header flew narrowly wide from Pamment’s free-kick but Sayoud also went close for the hosts, only to have his mazy run stopped by Stacey Freeman.

Bricknell had another opportunity to add to his impressive tally when Youngs was brought down by James Hammond, but his powerful effort from the resulting free-kick was tipped away by Carey.

Enfield’s top scorer then thought he had put his side in front when he slotted in from Youngs’ through ball but the celebrations were cut short when the assistant referee raised his flag for offside.

Pamment had another good opportunity for Lewes at the other end when his shot was deflected just wide of Wright’s left-hand post and Freeman also wasted a headed effort, while Sayoud spurned another opportunity for Enfield after being played in by Bricknell.

The point means the Towners drop down a place to fourth whereas Lewes move level on points with Enfield in fifth.