Honours ended even after Enfield Town played the final half-an-hour with 10 men to secure a 2-2 draw in a lively north London derby with Haringey Borough at an increasingly blustery Queen Elizabeth II Stadium on Saturday.

First-half strikes from Billy Bricknell and Sam Youngs had put the hosts 2-1 in front at the interval after they have conceded an early goal. But after being pegged in the second half, the Towners had to see out the remainder of the contest a man down after Dan Rumens was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

The draw was the Towners’ fifth home stalemate of the season, and seventh in total, and leaves them third in the Bostik Premier Division table, three points behind leaders Tonbridge Angels.

Following a delayed kick-off due to one of the officials being held up, Haringey were quickly out of the blocks as Rakim Richards headed the visitors into a fourth-minute lead following a corner.

The advantage was to be shortlived though, as Lewis Taaffe and Aaron Greene combined to good effect down the left, with the latter pulling the ball back for Bricknell to fire home a 10th-minute equaliser.

Haringey keeper Valery Pajetet did well to deal with a goalbound effort from Remi Sutton, but the visitors looked dangerous going forward and the Town backline had to be on their guard.

Youngs saw a shot saved on the half-hour and Pajetet was again called into action to thwart Bricknell after he had been played in by Greene.

The remainder of the opening period was end-to-end, with both defences holding out until just before the break when Sam Chaney chested the ball to Youngs. Although his shot appeared to lack the necessary power and Pajetet parried it, the keeper was unable to prevent the ball crossing line.

Like in the first half though, Borough were quickly out of the blocks after the break. Lionel Stone and Chinedu McKenzie saw efforts go off target and saved respectively before Richards drilled home a loose ball to equalise in the 50th minute.

The home side responded with Taaffe firing over and Youngs sending an effort wide after getting on the end of a Sam Hatton cross, before Coby Rowe curled a free-kick narrowly wide at the other end.

The game looked as if it might take a decisive twist in Haringey’s favour when Rumens was dismissed on the hour for denying a goalscoring opportunity just outside the penalty area.

However, the chances continued to occur at both ends as Taofiq Olomowewe headed off target and Hatton saw a drive blocked, Joe Wright and Pajetet both made important saves and Borough hit the woodwork, but no further goals were forthcoming.