AN Enfield house being used as a cannabis factory went up in smoke on New Year’s Day.

Firefighters from Enfield and Edmonton were called to Bideford Road at 5am on Thursday morning following an emergency phone call from terrified neighbours.

The fire ripped through the entire first floor of the empty property where "hundreds" of cannabis plants were being grown, according to one firefighter at the scene.

It also spread to a neighbouring home and caused a small amount damage, he added. No injuries have been reported.

Specialist heating devices were found at the property and the electricity supply had been rigged for the cultivation of the Class B drug, Enfield Police confirmed.

The owners of the property have not yet been identified and enquiries are ongoing. No arrests have been made. Kate Kevins, 14, of Bideford Road, said: “My mum shouted there was a fire so I woke up and looked out the window. People were outside and there was four fire engines. The house was really burning. “It was exciting but scary at the same time. Our fears were that someone might have been in there. We had no idea about the cannabis.”

Another neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: “In November, someone from Enfield Council visited to ask if I knew anything about the people that were living there. I didn’t have a clue. I work shifts and never really saw who it was that was coming and going.

“I did see a young man a few times. He drove an Audi TT. I was shocked when the firemen told me the house was being used for drugs. It just shows what can happen practically on your doorstep.”