A "violent predator" who locked a woman in a van and tried to rape her has been jailed.

Tyrone Allert plied his victim with drink, repeatedly tried to have sex with her and beat her - but his claim that she consented was revealed as a lie by footage from his own phone.

The 37-year-old, of no fixed abode, was jailed for 12 years at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Tuesday (April 9) for the false imprisonment and attempted rape of a woman in Tottenham.

He had been found guilty at the same court following a trial in November 2023 where he had pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm, racially aggravated harassment, assaulting an emergency worker, possession of an offensive weapon and dangerous driving.

Police were called at around 11.40am on July 24, 2023 to reports of a man standing at the back of a white van in Marsh Lane, Tottenham, with his jeans pulled down and sounds of a woman from inside the van shouting ‘help me’.

Police also received a call that the same van, driven by Allert, had collided with six vehicles in Warwick Road, Bounds Green, and had been driven at a man who narrowly escaped injury.

Officers began a hunt for the vehicle and located the victim at an east London hospital.

 She had suffered multiple injuries consistent with beating.

The court heard how on July 24, the 28-year-old female victim had been drinking with friends and had been picked up by Allert, who seeing that she was intoxicated, had given her more alcohol and driven around with her in the back of his van.

He repeatedly pulled over trying to have sex with the victim, attempting to beat her into submission.

When he was taken into custody Allert racially abused an officer before assaulting him, causing injuries that required hospital treatment.

In interview he claimed that the victim had consented to getting into the van and to having sex with him – but when his mobile phone was examined police found video of Allert verbally abusing and assaulting the victim.

In the footage, the victim was clearly heard to say that she didn’t want to have sex and at one point said ‘this is rape’.

The footage also showed her attempting to escape from the van, but Allert continually pushed her back inside.

Allert was arrested at his home address that day on suspicion of kidnap and assault.

He was taken into custody and on July 26, 2023 was charged with attempted GBH with intent, assault ABH, attempted rape, rape, kidnap, racially aggravated harassment, assault of an emergency worker, possession of an offensive weapon - a knife - and dangerous driving.

Detective Constable Iain McDonald, who investigated the case, said: “The victim-survivor in this case has been incredibly brave. Realising the danger she was in she fought tirelessly to escape Tyrone Allert, who is a violent predator.

“The effects of sexual offences can be long lasting, but I sincerely hope that the victim can move forward with her life leaving Allert and his despicable actions behind her.”​

After his release, Allert must spend five years on extended licence.