All traffic has been stopped on the M25 near Surrey due to a “serious” crash.

The motorway has shut anti-clockwise between junctions six and five since around 6.30am today (April 4).  

National Highways (@HighwaysEAST) is urging motorists on X (formally known as Twitter) to allow plenty of time. 

There is heavy congestion on approach which is causing severe delays in the area, according to AA.

A spokesperson for Surrey Police confirmed the driver of a single black Vauxhall Astra is receiving treatment. 

It added that the full closure will be in place for at least two hours while the incident is dealt with.

It is unknown when all traffic restrictions will be lifted.

We have contacted South East Coast Ambulance Service for further information.

A spokesperson for Surrey Police said: "Please be aware that there is a full closure on the anticlockwise M25 due to a collision involving a single black Vauxhall Astra between junctions 6 and 5, with vehicles being diverted off the M25 at junction 6.

"At this time, we anticipate that the full closure will be in place for at least two hours while emergency services respond to the incident, but this may change.

"We will open lanes for traffic to flow as soon as it is operationally safe and possible to do so.

"There is also a road closure in place on Water Lane in Oxted, near Titsey Park.

"Please avoid the area and find alternative routes. We will update in due course.

"The driver is currently receiving medical attention from HEMS.

"If you witnessed the collision please contact us via DM using reference PR/20240404-0091."

Full AA maps statement says: "Road closed and severe delays due to crash, a car involved on M25 anticlockwise from J6 A22 (Godstone) to J5 M26 / A21.

"Congestion to the M23 at J7, which is heavy northbound towards Hooley, and onlookers clockwise queueing from J5 M26."

A spokesperson for National Highways said: "The M25 in Surrey is closed anti-clockwise between J6 (Godstone) and J5 (M26 link) due to a serious collision.

"All emergency services are working at the scene with Surrey police leading the response."