A teenage yob stabbed a cyclist who tried to stop him stealing their bike - and then claimed it was self-defence. 

Lewis Livingstone, of Wellington Road, Enfield, kicked his victim off his bike as he rode home before knifing him in a scuffle in front of dozens of horrified onlookers.

The 19-year-old was jailed for six-and-a-half years at Hendon Magistrates' Court on March 15 after admitting attempted robbery and possession of a bladed article.

But his full sentence is now eight years, as he will now have to serve a previous 18-month suspended sentence.

Livingstone launched the unprovoked attack on the cyclist in Fore Street, Enfield, shortly before 4.30pm on July 1, 2023.

Livingstone, who was stood at a bus stop, leapt out at the victim and kicked him, forcing him off his bicycle.

He then unsheathed a large knife and chased the victim from his bicycle before getting on and brandishing the knife at the victim again.

The victim tackled Livingstone, but as they lay on the floor Livingstone retrieved his knife and stabbed the victim in the body in front of a crowd that had gathered.

The victim screamed for help and sustained further knife injuries to his hands as he desperately tried to defend himself.

Members of the public stepped in to stop Livingstone and held him as police rushed to the scene.

When asked why he had done it, one witness said Livingstone simply responded: “Is he dead?”

The victim was given first aid before being taken to hospital, where his injuries were fortunately assessed as not life-threatening or life-changing.

Livingstone was arrested and remanded in custody.

He tried to claim he was acting in self-defence but CCTV footage, a wealth of witness statements and forensic work proved his guilt.

In his victim impact statement, the cyclist said: “I believe this man was going to kill me, had the people not come to my rescue.

Enfield Independent: Livingstone claimed he had attacked the cyclist in self-defenceLivingstone claimed he had attacked the cyclist in self-defence (Image: Metropolitan Police)“I am still not over the shock and fear. I spent the night in hospital having nightmares.

"I still have a lot of pain on my side and hands as a result of being stabbed. I am now in the queue waiting for surgery on my hands.”

Detective Inspector James Hunt praised the bravery of members of the public who intervened. 

He said: “I know he (victim) is incredibly grateful to the people who came to his aid. Were it not for their bravery, this incident could potentially have been far worse.

“It’s a good example of the community coming forward and working together with the police following a serious crime."