A man was taken to hospital after firefighters rescued him from a kitchen blaze.

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters were called to Talbot Close in Tottenham on Saturday at 12.30pm.

Crews found a small fire in the kitchen of a ground-floor flat and rescued a man, who was taken to hospital.

The blaze was under control by 1.12pm.

It is believed to have been accidental and caused by cooking.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home.

"This incident is a timely reminder to make sure you never leave cooking unattended. If you do have to leave the room, turn off the heat."

Crews from Tottenham and Stoke Newington fire stations attended the scene.

How to prevent cooking fires:

  • Avoid leaving cooking unattended
  • Don't cook if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy
  • Take care not to lean over hot hobs and keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
  • Be careful to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a build-up of fat and grease, which could ignite and cause a fire
  • Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you've finished cooking
  • Supervise children and pets in the kitchen at all times and keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach