A woman and a child were assessed for smoke inhalation after a blaze caused by a faulty dishwasher broke out in a block of flats.

Firefighters were called to a five-storey block in Main Avenue, Enfield, just before 1am today (October 2).

Two people from a ground floor flat and three people from a first-floor flat fled the blaze before London Fire Brigade (LFB) arrived at the scene.

Medics assessed a woman and a child at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in a dishwasher.

The blaze was extinguished by crews from Enfield, Edmonton, Chingford and Tottenham fire station by 2.45am.

Part of a ground floor flat in the block was damaged by the fire.

A LFB spokesperson said: “It’s important to make sure you’re aware of white goods safety and to check your appliances.

“If your white goods start making a strange noise, don’t ignore it. If you think there’s a problem always unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.

“Most fires where white goods are the source of ignition are not down to anything you have done – so always make sure you register your appliances as you’ll be informed if any issues are identified with the product you’ve bought.

“You should also always keep your white goods in a safe place out of the way as if a fire does break out you will need clear escape routes."