A Metropolitan officer who tasered a man, leaving him paralysed from the waist down, has been cleared of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm.

Jordan Walker-Brown fell from a wall and broke his back in the incident in Burgoyne Road, Harringay, on May 4, 2020.

PC Imran Mahmood - who is attached to the Met Taskforce - had pleaded not guilty on April 28, 2022 to unlawful GBH following an investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

The 36-year-old, from Plaistow, was today acquitted following a trial at Southwark Crown Court.

The court had heard that he had spotted Mr Walker-Brown walking along the pavement as he was patrolling with eight other Met officers.

PC Mahmood wanted to see if Mr Walker-Brown was “legitimately” in the area during lockdown, believing he was dressed inappropriately for exercise with a hood up and woolly hat on in warm weather.

The officer felt Mr Walker Brown did a “double take” when he saw police arrive and that his bum bag could have been used to carry illegal items.

Mahmood and a colleague chased him and drew their tasers while the van followed.

Mr Walker-Brown tried to climb over a garden fence to a footpath, but first had to jump onto a wheelie bin.

At this point the defendant drew his taser, and the electric shock was so strong it caused Mr Walker-Brown to tumble backwards over the fence. He landed head-first and broke his back.

He had not pulled out any weapon, the court heard.

When interviewed by the police watchdog Mahmood said he believed Mr Walker-Brown was about to pull a knife.

The other officer did not discharge his taser.

Detective Chief Superintendent Caroline Haines, who is responsible for policing in Enfield and Haringey, said: “My thoughts today are with Mr Walker-Brown and his family whose lives have been changed forever. I don’t underestimate the effect this incident will have had on them and have offered to meet with them when appropriate to listen to their concerns and discuss the matter in further detail. It is always a matter of deep regret when an individual comes to harm following contact with police and officers know that in such circumstances their actions will be subject to the highest scrutiny.

“I am also very aware of the significant impact this incident has had on the wider community. We know that today’s outcome may reignite those feelings, which is why we have been working closely with key members of the community and partner agencies across the borough to listen to concerns and build on our existing relationships with all communities.

“We are aware that police use of Taser is seen by some as a controversial tactic, and incidents like this raise very legitimate concerns about its use. We are concerned too, and want to improve how we engage with our communities around this issue, by encouraging a two-way dialogue and having those we serve more involved in monitoring how we use the tactic.”

PC Mahmood has been on restricted duties since the incident. Misconduct proceedings will now be considered.