A man who bludgeoned his elderly father to death with a bottle of Champagne has been found guilty of murder.

Deekan Singh Vig, 54, killed 86-year-old shopkeeper, Arjan Singh Vig, in a drunken rage at the family home in Chelmsford Road, Southgate.

The attack took place on October 30, 2021, after Vig had consumed 500mls of whisky earlier that evening.

During a trial at the Old Bailey, the court heard how officers found the body of Mr Vig in his son’s bedroom with his “head caved in”.

His 54-year-old son was naked and surrounded by about 100 bottles of Champagne, including blood stained bottles of Veuve Cliquot and Bollinger.

He said: “I killed my dad. I hit him over the head with a f***ing bloody bottle of Bollinger champagne.”

On the evening of the killing, Mrs Vig heard vomiting noises from her son’s room and he told her he had consumed half a bottle of whisky.

After her husband confronted their son, she called her daughter because Vig appeared “out of control”. Mrs Vig’s daughter then dialled 999.

When officers arrived on the scene, they saw Mr Vig’s head had been “severely caved in” and it was obvious he was dead.

The defendant, who was naked with blood on his hands, feet and legs, was Tasered and detained in handcuffs after becoming verbally abusive and aggressive.

Later, he wept as he said: “My Dad is dead. I killed my Dad. I hit him over the head with a f***ing bloody bottle of Bollinger champagne. Why did I kill my Dad?”

He added: “I f***ing hit him with a bottle of f***ing Champagne…I hate French Champagne.”

At the crime scene, police uncovered 100 bottles of Champagne, 10 Amazon delivery boxes of whisky bottles, and an empty bottle of Talisker Scotch on the bed.

A post-mortem examination identified injuries “entirely consistent with an assault with a full Champagne bottle”, according to Prosecutor Deanna Heer KC.

Vig had denied murder but admitted manslaughter on the second day of his trial, claiming that he did not intend to cause his father really serious harm.

Giving evidence, he went on to claim he had autism and that his father had attacked him.

A jury deliberated for less than a day to find him guilty guilty of murder on Friday.

Judge Angela Rafferty adjourned sentencing until February 10, and remanded Vig into custody.

For the latest crime news in North London, join our North London Crime Watch group on Facebook