A bedroom fire believed to have been started by an unattended candle destroyed much of a house's first floor.

Around 25 firefighters in four fire engines rushed to a house in Tower Gardens Road, Tottenham, just after 8pm last night (October 6).

The London Fire Brigade says most of the first floor of the two storey mid-terraced house was destroyed by the fire with smoke damage throughout the top floor.

One man and one woman left the property before firefighters arrived and both were treated by crews on scene for smoke inhalation.

The fire brigade says the cause of the blaze is believed to be due to an unattended candle.

Station Officer Peter Campbell said: “Crews arrived on scene to a well-developed fire in the bedroom on the first floor. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus worked hard to extinguish the fire quickly to prevent it spreading to nearby properties.

“Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.

“You should also ensure they are in a heat-resistant holder and placed on a stable surface so they won’t be knocked over.”

The fire was brought under control by 9.08pm. Crews from Tottenham, Hornsey, and Stoke Newington were at the scene.