A police officer is facing allegations of using unreasonable force during an allegedly unnecessary search of a black teenage boy outside a secondary school.

The Metropolitan Police officer, who has not been named, will face gross misconduct proceedings following an investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

In footage of the incident, in Tottenham on December 8 2020, which was shared online, an officer can be seen swinging his arm at the boy before the pair ended up on the floor.

Body-worn video showed that, after a short conversation, an officer detained one of the boys for a search and things “escalated” when the officer attempted to handcuff the boy who either fell or was taken to the ground, the IOPC said.

The incident occurred after the officer approached a group of black teenage boys outside the secondary school gates in Wood Green Road following a spate of robberies in the area, The Metropolitan Police Service said.

The event was referred to the IOPC after a complaint from the boy and a self-referral from Met Police.

Following a six-month investigation, the watchdog announced the officer faces allegations that the use of force was “not necessary, reasonable or proportionate” and that “there were not reasonable grounds for searching the boy”.

The IOPC also said its opinion was that the language used by the officer “could have been disrespectful” and that it could not rule out racial or age bias.

The investigation also found that a second officer present during the incident, did not attempt to de-escalate the situation and responded to taunts from the teenagers with unprofessional language that could be considered inflammatory.

However, the watchdog recommended that aspect be considered “a practice requiring improvement and addressed through restorative practice.”

IOPC regional director Sal Naseem said: “Police use of force is an area of serious concern for our communities and we recognise the potential for incidents like this to damage public confidence in the police.

“It will now be a matter for the police disciplinary panel, to determine whether the allegations are proven.”

At the time of the incident Met Police said three officers were injured after a crowd formed and police made a circle around the detained teenager.

The Met said four 16-year-old males were arrested following the incident but no further action was taken.

Superintendent Simon Crick, in charge of policing in Haringey, said: “Video footage of part of this incident was widely shared on social media at the time and I know the significant level of concern this incident caused within the local community.

“We have fully co-operated with the IOPC investigation from the outset after referring two public complaints and two conduct matters shortly after it happened.

“We note the IOPC have directed that a gross misconduct hearing should be held and this will be chaired by an independent and legally qualified chair.

“Whilst it is clear that one of the officers involved in this case has questions to answer about his conduct, it should not be forgotten that three officers were also injured, including two that required hospital treatment.”

He added: “I ask my officers to do a very difficult job in often very challenging circumstances, and they must at all times act with professionalism, dignity and respect if they are to maintain the confidence of the communities they serve.

“Community confidence in the use of stop and search powers can only be sustained if we apply them in a fair, effective and professional manner.”