Enfield Town took an early lead in the Isthmian Football League Premier Division at the weekend after a 2-0 win over Brightlingsea Regent in their second game of the season on Saturday.

Manager Andy Leese was unable to attend the game, so Mario Noto and Ian Hart took charge in his absence.

The best early chance fell to Brightlingsea when Jake Clowsley’s angled drive was pushed away for a corner by Nathan McDonald.

At the other end, Mo Faal twice stung the hands of Turner before Rian Bray, up for a freekick after Faal was foul, was narrowly off target.

Another free kick, awarded after Percy Kiangebeni was brought down, saw Andre Coker shoot over.

Kiangebeni was arguably the most influential player on the day and it was his goal that put Enfield in front with half time approaching.

He and Coker linked up well before the former’s shot squirmed into the net following a fumble by Turner, sending the hosts into the half time break with a slim lead.

The visitors began positively after the break and should have levelled when Ken Feyi was off target with a free header.

But when he went off injured, his team’s main attacking threat went off the field with him.

By then, however, Town should have been out of sight, but for a series of tremendous saves by the quick-thinking Turner.

First he somehow kept out Josh Urquhart’s powerful volley, then made two flying stops from the ever-dangerous Faal, who on another day might well have had a hattrick.

Another reflex save, this time keeping out Kiangebeni’s low shot that was heading for the corner, kept his team in the game.

Only in a tense final few minutes were Enfield finally forced on the back foot as Brightlingsea pushed to try and change their fortunes.

But Town, perhaps deservedly, held their nerve and in stoppage time substitute Ebrima Sawaneh, with virtually his first touch, made the game safe as his half-hit, bouncing shot nestled in the corner of the net after fine work by another sub, Sam Youngs.

The win provides Enfield with further momentum as they prepare for two eagerly awaited fixtures.

First they face Folkestone on Saturday before the Bank Holiday Monday brings a derby against Cheshunt, who have started the season with a win and a draw.