A flat fire has been caused by an electrical fault in a charger and firefighters are urging people to always use the correct charger.

The fire, believed to be accidental, happened in a flat in Whitehead Close in Edmonton yesterday (August 8).

Most of a three-roomed flat on the first floor of the building was damaged by the fire.

Two men left the flat before the brigade arrived and were treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews after suffering from smoke inhalation.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “It’s really important to always use the correct charger for your product and buy an official one from a reputable seller if you need a replacement.

“Batteries should always be charged on hard flat surfaces where heat can dissipate, and you should also make sure you unplug your charger once it’s finished charging.”

The brigade was called at 7:47pm and the fire was under control by 8:32pm.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Edmonton, Tottenham, Southgate and Hornsey fire stations attended the scene.

Firefighters' have shared tips for charging devices which include always use the charger that came with the electrical item, when buying a replacement, always choose a branded, genuine product from a supplier.

Don’t leave items continuously on charge after the charge cycle is complete – it's best not to leave a phone plugged in overnight for example.

Lastly, never cover chargers or charging devices – that includes using a laptop power lead in bed.