A child was struck in the head by falling debris after a lighting unit collapsed at a swimming pool.

London Ambulance Service were rushed to the pool at Southbury Leisure Centre on Sunday, October 27 and treated the child at the scene before taking them to hospital.

Fusion Lifestyle, which manages the centre, say a "celing fitting" fell at the poolside after someone threw an item upwards.

Ed Sima, 38, who was at the pool when the incident happened, said he thought a “bomb had gone off” when a lighting unit collapsed.

He said: “The whole lighting unit which was 20 meters long just snapped off the roof.

“There were around 20 people in the pool when it happened. Everyone who was there was just shocked by what has happened.

“The whole thing was very traumatic.”

The pool was temporarily closed but has since re-opened, with a full investigation by Fusion Lifestyle underway into the incident.