A Chinese takeaway where one manager was previously banned from working in a food business was fined after repeatedly breaching food hygiene regulations.

Luc Oriental Chef, trading as Oriental Chef in London Road, Enfield, and Kin Quan Luc, 56, of St Mark’s Road, Bristol were sentenced at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on May 20 after each admitting six breaches of Regulations 19 & 20 of the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations in 2017 and 2018

Quan Mai Yang, 50, of Cumbrian Gardens, NW2 was also sentenced after being found guilty of the same six offences on 12 March.

Yang had previously been convicted of similar food safety offences in 2007 and 2014, when she was also prohibited from working in a food business.

Food hygiene inspectors found violations of poor hygiene practices, contaminated food, poor standards of cleaning and inadequate storage of cooked foods, incorrect freezer temperatures and inadequate cooling of high-risk foods such as rice.

Luc Oriental Chef was fined £8,000, ordered to pay a £150 victim surcharge and £2,000 costs. Kin Quan Luc was fined £1,200 ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge and £250 costs. Quan Mai Yang was fined £2,600 ordered to pay a £50 victim surcharge and £700 in costs.

Enfield Council’s cabinet member for licensing and regulatory services, Cllr George Savva, said: “We will not tolerate food businesses who cannot comply with the hygiene laws and consequently put residents at risk of food poisoning.

“It is not difficult to meet the lawful requirements with regards to hygiene standards, but food business owners need to understand that we will shut down and prosecute premises and business owners who cannot or will not take reasonable steps to protect consumers from harm.”

The Oriental takeaway was previously closed down in September 2017 by Enfield Council’s Food Safety Inspector for serious hygiene failings. The owners immediately addressed these areas of concerns and after further inspection were allowed to reopen two days later.

A later inspection in July 2018 gave the takeaway a one-star food hygiene rating, indicating the need for major improvement, which resulted in the council deciding to prosecute the restaurant.