An investigation is underway following chaos after a football game ending up with several police officers hurt.

Fans from the Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax Champions League semi-final game were seen throwing bottles at one another on Tuesday, April 30.

A total of eight arrests have been made.

The most serious incident took place at around 7.15pm.

Officers patrolling Brereton Road witnessed a group of men breaking up pieces of pavement and wall and throwing them.

Three police officers were assaulted whilst attempting to intervene - They were seen by medical staff and their injuries were not deemed as serious.

Three men, 29-years-old, 35-years-old and 23-years-old were arrested at the scene on suspicion of violent disorder.

A 29-year-old was also arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and assault on police.

All men remain in custody currently.

An additional four arrests were made for separate incidents before the match as follows:

• A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order and remains in custody

• A 26-year-old man was arrested for affray and remains in custody

• A 40-year-old man was arrested for drunk and disorderly behaviour and possession of cannabis. He was subsequently charged with the offences and bailed to appear at court.

• A 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of public order and common assault. He was released under investigation for common assault.

Match Commander, Superintendent Louis Smith said: “A number of arrests were made following some incidents of serious disorder last night. A full investigation is now underway, and I would urge anyone with information to come forward and assist us with our enquiries.

“Sadly, three officers were injured during the policing operation. My officers faced and dealt with serious violence including a group of men who had armed themselves with bricks and bottles.

“Thankfully the officers’ injuries are not serious, and they remain fit for duty however, this behaviour is totally unacceptable and robust action will be taken against those responsible.

“I would like to commend the officers for putting themselves in harm’s way in order to detain the individuals who were posing a significant threat to innocent members of the public within the area.

“We are working closely with the stadium to take necessary action concerning the offences carried out last night and we continue to work hard to help ensure football matches remain safe and enjoyable events for all.”

Officers from the North Area Command Unit are investigating and are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Anyone with information about the above offences or any other incidents during the match is urged to contact police on 101. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.