An Enfield MP has urged the government to provide more warnings about carbon monoxide to those travelling abroad after the death of a student one year ago today.

Following the inquest into the death of gap year student Francesca Dingley on February 9 2015 in Chengdu, China, Enfield Southgate MP David Burrowes raised the issue in parliament and asked the Foreign Office to update their checklist to include advice about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ms Dingley was a Bristol University graduate whose family live in Winchmore Hill, where she also went to school at St Pauls Primary.

She was in Chengdu to teach English to Chinese students, but stayed in an apartment in which had a boiler whose water vent had been incorrectly installed. Ms Dingley died in her sleep due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

MP Burrowes said: “Our thoughts, hearts, and prayers go out to the Dingley family as they remember the anniversary of their daughter's tragic death due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We need to do all we can to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide particularly for travelling overseas in gap year placements. I look forward to meeting the Foreign Office minister to ensure travel advice is adequate and support the family's campaign to raise awareness."

MP Burrowes has also written to the Foreign Secretary to request a meeting with the Dingley family.

In answer to MP Burrowes’ parliamentary question about updating the travel checklist to include carbon monoxide warnings, a foreign office minister said: “While the number of consular cases involving British nationals affected by carbon monoxide poisoning overseas is low, this remains a concern.

“The travel industry has an important role to play in addressing this issue, including through communications, although care must be taken to ensure the onus is not placed entirely on the traveller. Holiday providers should provide a safe environment without requiring holidaymakers to, for example, carry carbon monoxide alarms.

“In the UK, the energy industry is providing important advice to the public on carbon monoxide poisoning through its ‘Be Alarmed’ campaign. Our foreign travel checklist on the website signposts travellers to their advice.”