A man who sold dangerous cosmetic products has been fined £16,000.

Kabamba Tabukanga, 53, of Hoe Lane, admitted selling products that contained mercury and hydroquinone, used in skin bleaching.

He was caught after a check from trading standards found a number of skin lightening cosmetics containing the dangerous substances.

The 53-year-old pleaded guilted to 14 charges of not complying with Cosmetic Products Safety Regulations 2008 at Tottenham Magistrates Court.

Tabukanga was ordered to pay fines totalling £4,620, costs totalling £2,554 and a £120 victim surcharge after admitting the offences.

On top of this his company, Gramadi Place Ltd, was ordered to pay fines totalling £6,160, costs totalling £2,554.

Enfield council’s cabinet member for environment, Cllr Daniel Anderson, said: “We will not tolerate businesses that put profits before the safety of our residents and Enfield Council will take quick and effective action against anyone who endangers the public by selling what are frankly dangerous products.

“This sentence sends out a very strong message, and I sincerely hope it deters others from selling this kind of unsafe merchandise.”

Hydroquinone can cause disfigurements resulting in blue-black pigments on the skin, it can also cause itching, crusting and swelling of the skin.

Inorganic mercury in skin lightening soaps and creams can cause kidney damage