Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting ENFIELD NEWS to 80360, or email us
Winchmore Hill man Michael Tzouvanni confirmed dead after Thai nightclub blaze
A man from Winchmore Hill died after becoming trapped in a blaze in a Thai nightclub.
Michael Tzouvanni, 24, was on holiday when the inferno broke out at the Tiger Discotheque in Phuket in the early hours of Friday morning.
Although his family feared the worst after not hearing from him since the fire, Thai police confirmed today that Mr Tzouvanni died from smoke inhalation.
Two Thai women and a French man also died in the fire, which injured 11 people.
The construction developer, who had six siblings, called his best friend from inside the nightclub to tell him he loved him and that there was no way out.
His brother, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Evening Standard on Monday: "He was famous for putting everyone else before him. He would never have been first to go and that was the problem.
"We have lost a brother, we are a very close family. We were seven and now we are six. He was close with every single member of the family, you wouldn’t find a bad word about him from anyone.”
Tributes to the young man are pouring in on Twitter. User @MarianneLFC said: “RIP Michael Tzouvanni. I can't believe it.”
User @Anna_Maria_MUA said: “so so sad :( can't believe it! #rip” and @HarilaosMichael described the news as “tragic” and “terrible.”
Mr Tzouvanni had been out with two friends but split up from them just before the fire broke out.
His family said yesterday they were 99 per cent sure Mr Tzouvanni, who had not used his credit card since 3am on Friday morning, died in the fire.
However, his brother Joseph Tzouvanni flew to Thailand at the weekend to check prisons and hotels in a desperate bid to find him.