Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting ENFIELD NEWS to 80360, or email us
Polluted lake in Grovelands Park in Southgate infected with toxic algae
People should stay away from a lake in a Southgate park after it has become contaminated with toxic algae.
Blue-green algae, which can cause serious illnesses, has been uncovered in the waters of Grovelands Park in The Bourne following tests led by Enfield Council.
Those who come into contact with the water run the risk of skin irritation, rashes, a sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
The council is urging people and pets to avoid drinking or swimming in the lake. Visitors should also not touch the blue-green algae, which is on the shoreline, or eat fish from its waters.
Even more serious illnesses, such as liver damage, can be contracted if people repeatedly drink from water contaminated with algae.
Enfield Council's Cabinet Member for Environment, Councillor Chris Bond, said: "Blue-green algae produces a poison that can cause serious illness to animals or humans who drink or have skin contact with it so it’s very important people stay well clear of the lake water until we give the all clear.
"We are working with the Environment Agency to control and resolve this outbreak but in the meantime we've sealed off the lake and erected warning signs to protect park users and pets.
“The safety and wellbeing of park users is our number one priority and I hope people will bear with us while we resolve this problem."
Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and end in one to two days.
People with queries should contact the council's Parks Section on 020 8379 1000.