A DISGUSTING restaurant where baby rats were found nesting in a wall and cockroaches were lurking around dough mixture has been shut down.

Rodents urine and faeces were also left on food packaging materials and insects ran freely at Tatli Dynyasi Bakery in High Street, Enfield.

The horrendous scene was discovered in November and immediately shut down.

Former owner homeless Suat Gorur and the businesses both pleaded guilty to six food safety and hygeine offences at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court.

He was fined £1,066 and ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge and £1,000 costs.

The company was ordered to pay £4,000 in fines, an £80 victim surcharge and £1,000 in costs.

Councillor Daniel Anderson, Enfield Council’s cabinet member for environment, said: “This is an appalling case.

“It stretches credulity to believe the owner and workers didn’t know there was a serious pest problem on the premises.

“We would much rather work with food businesses to raise standards, but there are occasions when a short, sharp shock is required.”

Mr Gorur also failed to implement a food safety system, to protect food from contamination, to keep the premises in good repair and condition, and to register as a food business operator.

“The hygiene failings on these premises were simply breathtaking leaving us with no option other than to immediately shut down the bakery and prosecute.

“However, I am pleased the business has now got its act together and are working with us to ensure that there won’t be any repeat of the problems we encountered.

“This prosecution sends out a strong message that we simply will not stand for poor hygiene standards in Enfield.

“Residents can rest assured that will take whatever steps are necessary to deal with businesses which are not compliant with the law.

“Enfield Council remains committed towards building strong vibrant communities with clean, safe and well regulated businesses.”