A nightclub had its licence suspended after a man was stabbed and another shot during a late night brawl.

Golden Palace, in Herbert Road, Upper Edmonton, narrowly avoided being closed permanently following the incident, which took place three hours after it was meant to have been closed.

The police are treating the shooting and stabbing as attempted murder.

At a licence committee hearing today, councillors told the premises holder Ediz Hatsunc that his licence is suspended for three months while numerous conditions are set to be met by the club.

The committee heard that the incident took place two-and-a-half hours after a birthday party at the club was supposed to finish.

Police arrived at the scene at approximately 6.20am to find numerous people still in the club.

James Rantkin, representing the police, said: “The club’s clientele has led it to become a stigma for gang culture.”

The committee also heard that on the night of the scuffle, CCTV was not in use and could not be provided as evidence.

Mr Rankin added: “The fact that the CCTV was not working during the night of the incident is a disaster and a major failing of the owner.”

Mr Rankin also went on to condemn the failings at Golden Palace, highlighting that many of the staff were not fully trained and that when the police attempted to contact Mr Hatsunc for questioning, he was ill on a number of days.

Representing Golden Palace, Roderick James told the committee that private events are occasional.

He said: “The Golden Palace’s core business is in wedding functions and wakes and very rarely hosts these types of events - twice a month maximum - so it would be disingenuous to say this is a stigma.

“We say, that this incident is a one-off, my clients have held a licence since 2008 and not once has there been a serious issue. To revoke the licence would be unjustified.”

Committee chairman Councillor Derek Levy, chairman of the committee issued the suspension of the licence and conditions which need to be met by Golden Palace in order to reopen.

These include the installation of a ‘search arch’ to detect weapons being taken into a club, regular checks to ensure all staff are qualified, no entry to the club one hour before closing time, and hand searches on custimers before entering the club.”

Speaking after the ruling, Mr James said: “My clients are disappointed with the decision; they take the committee's conditions very seriously and will be taking them onboard.”

Mr James did not rule out the possibility of an appeal to the decision made by the committee.