Fire chiefs are warning parents to keep an eye on their kids during the summer holidays after an unusual incident last year.

The London Fire Brigade spent nearly £240,000 in the past five years rescuing children who accidentally get locked in rooms or trapped in things.

Last year in Enfield, fire crews had to rescue a child after getting a cone stuck to his head.

Across the capital there were 1,508 incidents involving children getting stuck on or in things during 2013/14.

The warning message comes following an incident in Bromley in which a child got its head stuck in a potty.

The brigade’s third officer Dave Brown said: “Kids are always crawling about and exploring so accidents are bound to happen, but when we are releasing children from under tables and out of  tv speakers it diverts our attention from other emergencies.

“Many of the incidents we get called to could be avoided with a little bit of common sense.  During this summer holiday, I would ask parents to keep an eye on their children and only call 999 if it is a real emergency.”