Neighbours of a woman who died following a fire that also took the life of her granddaughter are demanding answers over their deaths.

Colleen Springer, of Solomon Avenue in Upper Edmonton, passed away on December 23 from carbon monoxide poisoning after the inferno ripped through her home four days earlier.

The 50-year-old, who is disabled, was rescued from the blaze and taken to hospital. However, her four-year-old granddaughter, Tamiyah Springer, was pronounced dead at the scene.

With the fire currently not being treated as suspicious by the Metropolitan Police, neighbour Courtney Ramsay says more information must be released about the events that led to the tragedy.

He said: "We are all devastated by the news, everyone is in shock, but we all want to know how this fire started out in the first place.

"When she arrived home everything was fine but 15 minutes later there was a big fire – there must be a reason as to why it happened."

Mr Ramsay along with another neighbour attempted to kick down the door to rescue the girl and her grandmother.

Still taken back by the news of his neighbour’s passing, he went on to pay tribute to Ms Springer and described her as a "lovely person".

He said: "I have known her for about five or six years and she was one of the loveliest people I have ever come across, a really genuine person.

"Every time I would see her coming in, I would always help get her into her home because she was disabled, she was very loved by everyone in this block."

Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, also paid tribute to the 50-year-old.

She said: "Colleen was a very happy person and was always riding around on her mobility scooter. It is a very tragic time; everybody is mourning both Colleen and her granddaughter at the moment. The firefighters did everything they could but sadly neither managed to survive."

Ozlem Bastug, who lives in the flat opposite, had earlier described four-year-old Tamiyah as a "happy child".

A police spokesman said that an inquest into the two deaths will not take place until September and an investigation is still ongoing.