Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting ENFIELD NEWS to 80360, or email us
Celebrations mark river's four centuries in Enfield
Events will be held to mark the 400th anniversary of a river this month at an Enfield public house.
Opened in 1613, the New River will be celebrated at Myddelton House Gardens in Bulls Cross, Enfield, with a series of water-themed activities being held in honour of the historic river.
Once flowing through the grounds of the historical gardens, the river supplied London with fresh drinking water and even to this day, is a fundamental part of London’s water supply.
On Sunday, September 29, there will be celebration of the anniversary at the gardens, marked by the unveiling of a new water feature in front of one of the two New River bridges that still stand in the gardens today.
The gardens were made famous by Edward Augustus Bowles, one the 20th century’s greatest gardeners, and his great-great nephew, Brigadier Andrew Parker Bowles OBE will be paying a visit to officially mark the historic day and unveil the new feature.
Some of the water from the New River itself will be used in the new water feature and will be collected by staff and volunteers.
Andrew Turvey, head gardener of Myddelton House Gardens, said: “Sunday, September 29 does not only mark 400 years since the New River was opened. It also marks 59 years since the New River flowed through the garden.
“Sunday will see the opening of a small water feature beneath one of the New River bridges; although not quite the same feat of engineering we hope it was a help to define and depict the history of the New River through the garden.”
Currently, the course of the New River flows just 300 metres from the entrance to Myddelton House Gardens by Turkey Street.
Flowing through the gardens until 1954, the house used to be the location of meeting for the former New River Company, who looked after the river and has now become Thames Water.
Myddelton House Gardens itself was restored in the style of EA Bowles and boasts eight acres of unusual exotic plants, a carp lake and historical artefacts collected by EA Bowles which included pieces from the original St Paul’s Cathedral and can be seen in the Bowles museum.