Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting ENFIELD NEWS to 80360, or email us
Bizarre item causes fire
Before going on holiday, everyone knows the routine checks: windows locked, electrics unplugged and everything turned off - but making sure your mirror isn't too close to the window is probably not on most people's checklist.
Fire-fighters this week were called to a home in Lakeside, Enfield after curtains in the front bedroom caught fire.
When the fire brigade made it to the house at midday on Tuesday they discovered a vanity mirror had caused the blaze.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “This sort of fire happens several times a year in the capital – usually when it’s very sunny. Try and avoid keeping make up and shaving mirrors in windowsills, as the magnification can cause the sun’s rays to focus and set fire to things.
“We’ve attended around half a dozen of these fires since the start of the year and if the sunny weather continues, we may see a few more. They’re usually caused by mirrors, bottles, broken glass, and even goldfish bowls.
“Though the residents of the property are coming back to a burnt bedroom, the damage would have been a lot worse if a neighbour hadn’t heard the smoke alarm and dialled 999.
"Smoke alarms will alert you (or your neighbours) to a fire quickly, enabling firefighters to put the fire out before it causes too much damage. Test your alarm every week and make sure your family and your neighbours know what to do if they hear it going off.”
Comments are closed on this article.